1988 – 1990
- Services offered
The Stadio Olimpico in Rome is a multi-purpose sports facility on the slopes of Monte Mario, in the northwestern part of the city. It was designed in 1927 and used in 1937 as backdrop to the Olympic Games of the Fascist era. In 1949 the Italian National Olympic Committee (CONI) decided to complete it making it the “Stadio dei Centomila”, because it reached a capacity of 100,000 people. In 1960 after the decision that Rome should host the XVII Olympic Games it was renamed Stadio Olimpico. Since then it has hosted the matches of Roma and Lazio, track and field events and extra sports activities such as concerts and performances. Thanks to CEAS, during the 1990 FIFA World Cup, the Stadio Olimpico was completely redeveloped. The bleachers and the curved sectors were reconstructed and extended with reinforced concrete structures, the grandstand was extended with reinforced concrete and wooden structures and the all the other structures were statically adjusted. The “new” Stadio Olimpico was equipped with a tensile structure roof supported by a big steel reticular ring resting on several steel columns with independent foundations.